Beginning Saturday, September 10, WMATA's Major Blue Line and Yellow Line Construction project will rehabilitate the Yellow Line tunnel and bridge between Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza stations and connect the new Potomac Yard Station to the mainline rail system. During the Potomac Yard prep work, six stations south of Reagan National Airport on the Yellow and Blue lines will be closed from Sept.10 to Oct.22, 2022.
The shutdown is expected to end in October 2022. Construction work on the Yellow Line will continue in the second phase of the project, which will take place from October 2022 to May 2023. The impacted Blue and Yellow Line stations will reopen for the second phase of the project, but both lines will be served by Blue Line trains while work continues on the Yellow Line bridge between Pentagon and L'Enfant stations.
To learn more about the project and sign up for construction alerts from WMATA, click here.
Phase 1 (Sept. 10, 2022 - Oct. 22, 2022)
- No rail service south of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station
- No Yellow Line service, but Yellow Line stations north of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station will be served by the Blue or Green lines
- Additional Blue Line service, with trains departing every seven to nine minutes from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and New Carrollton stations (every 15 minutes after 9:30 p.m.)
- Blue Line customers traveling between Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza stations should plan on approximately 15 minutes of extra travel time
Free Shuttle Service:
Local shuttles will be available during all Metrorail operating hours.
- Blue Line Local: service between Franconia-Springfield, Van Dorn St, King St-Old Town, Braddock Rd, and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport stations every 10-20 minutes
- Yellow Line Local: service between Huntington, Eisenhower Ave, King St-Old Town, Braddock Rd, and Crystal City stations every 10-15 minutes. Yellow Line shuttles do not stop at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station
Express shuttles will be available most of the day (from 4:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. weekends).
- Blue Line Express: service between Franconia-Springfield and Pentagon stations every 6 minutes
- Yellow Line Express: service between Huntington and Pentagon stations every 6 minutes
Phase 2 (Oct. 23, 2022 - May 2023)
- All stations will reopen, and service will resume south of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station
- Yellow Line stations will be served by the Blue or Green lines
- Blue Line trains will operate every 12 minutes between Largo Town Center and Franconia-Springfield stations and every 12 minutes between Huntington and New Carrollton stations (every 15 minutes after 9:30 p.m.)
For more information about phase 2 of this project, click here.
For more information about the project, including service impacts, maps, travel alternatives and frequently asked questions, click here. Riders can sign up to receive project updates directly to their email here.
Other Mitigation Efforts:
- Virginia Railway Express (VRE) trains will be free system-wide in September. Fares for zones 1 through 3 will remain free in October.
- Free parking from Sept. 10 to Oct. 22 at Franconia-Springfield, Van Dorn and Huntington stations.
- No "non-rider fee" for parking at Franconia-Springfield station during Yellow Line bridge work.
- Free Capital Bikeshare for Alexandria residents during September and October.
- Free Metroway bus service from Sept. 10 to Oct. 22.
- Free roundtrip water taxi service from Alexandria.